This amazing marinade came about when laziness kicked in and I didn’t feel like going to the store to figure out what to do with a large piece of chicken breast. I was bored of the typical rubs or marinades I do, so I looked in my fridge for some inspiration.
Which leads me to my first conclusion: we have way too many jams and jellies. I mean, good Lord, I counted about 5. Later on my OCD placed them all in a lazy Susan inside the fridge so we can keep tabs of them better. That being said, I didn’t want to be the weirdo with all these jams for just toast in the morning…
One of my favorites is peach preserves, especially in the summer time. I caught a glimpse of my bowl of citrus and grabbed a lime that needed to be used. I noticed there was some arugula left in a salad bag we had, and half a cucumber sitting on the shelf.
I didn’t feel like making a side so I told my husband to grab the ciabatta rolls we had in the freezer chest downstairs because I decided sandwiches would be the way to go this evening.
And man, did these flavors work. I didn’t turn on the oven, my husband grilled and I used up ingredients I already had. This is why I keep my pantry, freezer and even the fridge stocked as much as possible because…I get bored. I plan our meals really well, but sometimes if the weather is too hot or the baby was extra clingy that day, I need to figure something out rather than ordering take out.
Enjoy these flavors! You will be pleasantly surprised and it’s a great weeknight meal when you’re stuck in a chicken rut.
- 1/2 cup of peach preserves
- 1 lime juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon of mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 taplesoon of honey
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes (optional)
- Mini Ciabatta rolls
- Sliced Cucumbers
- 4 tablespoons of mayo
- 1/2 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of honey
- Juice of half a lime
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Place the chicken in a large ziplock bag. Then put the rest of the ingredients in a blender and blend until the garlic is minced. Pour it over the chicken and let it marinade for at least 4 hours, over night would work best.
- Grill the chicken until completely cooked. Serve immediately or freeze for another day!
- This marinade can easily be made with pork chops as well.
- This chicken is also great in a lettuce wrap and if you don't care for arugula, spinach works great for the sandwich too!
I mean isn’t this a pretty sandwich?! I mean my husband was quite pleased with it, even with the cucumber, something he doesn’t usually care for.
It’s the perfect summer sandwich. It’s light, and healthy…it hits all the right flavor notes. Go and make this!
Seriously, I think I’ll make it again already.