In the summer, I try to plan our entire meal on the grill. ANYTHING to keep the kitchen as clean as possible. It’s a bit tricky however, because our grill is VERY (perfect for two people) small. Since it’s charcoal with not much space on top, whatever I happen to give Danny needs to be strategic. So a majority of the time, it ends up being vegetables because they cook quickly.
We LOVE corn, especially when it’s fresh. I’m happy if it’s the only food I eat in the entire meal (I’m serious). This salad is very easy to make, and inexpensive. If you happen to not have a grill, you can still do it on the stove top, but it will be missing that summer flavor (you know what I’m talking about!).
All the ingredients come together really well, and the dressing adds a nice pizazz (it’s the only word I could think of).
- 1/4 cup of finely chopped cilantro
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 5 ears of corn
- 1 large red onion sliced into thick rings
- 1/3 cup of feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of ground mustard
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drizzle olive oil on the corn, bell pepper and onion and season them with salt and pepper. Grill the corn until you see grill marks on the kernels. The onions will cook quickly so keep an eye on them because they may burn.
- When the red bell pepper is charred, place it in a bowl and place cellophane wrap on top, making sure it's sealed tight. This is to steam the skin off the red bell pepper so it's easier to peel. Let it steam about 5 minutes.
- Once the corn is ready to come off the grill, cool it completely. Place the flat side of the corn on a kitchen towel and using a knife, scrape the kernels off the cob. Do this will all 5 ears of corn. When you're done, place the kernels in a medium bowl.
- When the onion is done, finely chop it and place it in the bowl with the kernels. When the red bell pepper is done steaming, you can rub the skin off with your hands or a small pairing knife. Take the top off and all the seeds. Finely chop the bell pepper and add it to the bowl of kernels.
- Add the chopped cilantro and feta cheese. In a small bowl, mix the dressing. Add it to the corn salad and toss until everything is mixed well with the dressing.
…it’s his way of letting me know he doesn’t want a ham and cheese sandwich for work.